Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Coming Out

Photo Credit
No, I am not gay as the title might suggest (you can start breathing again mom).  In fact that is neither here nor there, and it has very little bearing on this post.  But the very fact that I feel compelled to make that statement has everything to do with this post.  It's the very reason for this post.

During the last week of March as the SCOTUS took up arguments regarding the DOMA the symbol you see to the left started popping up everywhere.  Starting with social media and quickly going viral it was everywhere.  It only took a few sightings before I put two and two together, realizing the meaning.  My first instinct was to change my FB profile image to reflect this simple graphic.

But I didn't.

Why?  Because I'm a coward.

I have many friends who happen to also be gay.  Not in a "token gay friend" way, more in a "Law of Averages" kind of way.  I enjoy being around smart, articulate, fun people, and given the cross section of America...  It makes me angry when people who don't know my friends discriminate against them.  I think it's stupid.  And it sucks.

So why then the balk?

Likely because I also have friends who are narcissistic enough to think they know what's best for every other individual on the planet.  That somehow gay marriage is going to single-handedly bring down civilization as we know it (we can only hope, right?).

So here I sit.  And I know this in no way approaches the level of anxiety some feel as they reveal they are gay to loved ones.  But I do feel a bit anxious about what some people in my life will say.  It doesn't compel me to change my beliefs, but rather I don't look forward to the arguments that may start.  And I may just flat out lose a friend or two.

Which is unfortunate.

I wussed out before, so now I make a stand for what I believe in.  I know this is a new blog with a limited readership for now, but it's a start.  And maybe it will make it easier to stand up in the future.  Not for gay marriage; for marriage equality.

Because bigotry sucks.  Sorry mom, but you taught me that too.

PS:  I'm typing this on my laptop in the local Chick-fil-A.  The irony is almost too much.

2 comments:

  1. Robert, thank you for your recent comment on my blog.

    And thank you for having the courage to write this post. As a gay man I am overwhelmed by the support and courage of our straight allies. LGBT people make up a very small percentage of the overall population so it is through the work of straight people such as yourself that we have been able to make the tremendous strides that we have. Our victories are due, in large part, to people like you. Simply put, we couldn't do it without you.

    Your mother and friends should be proud of the man you are, the convictions you hold, and your dedication to the true values of this country by knowing that until we are all equal, none of us are.

    My hat is off to you, sir! Thank you.

    Please come visit my blog again. I'll definitely be checking in on yours!

    Sincerely,

    Curt Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curt:

    Thank you for the support, although I still feel a bit undeserving. The whole issue boggles my mind really. Can you imagine what good could have been done if all of this had been a non-issue and the money spent by both sides in the campaign had been used for humanitarian purposes? It's like when I see someone smoking, all I can think is, "Really?! Is this still an issue??" It's such a shame that so basic of a right has to be fought for. But I suppose looking at our past, it's not hard to see we don't exactly have a good track record.

    Best wishes to you and those you love!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what you're thinking. Dog hair and puppy drool are perfectly acceptable. I only request that if you post as "Anonymous" please sign your name, thanks!